To Allow or Not To Allow? The Facebook Subscribe Button

When I visited Facebook today, I was greeted with the following message, direct from Facebook:


It read,

New: The Subscribe ButtonNow you can let anyone who's interested subscribe to things you share publicly.

The message also included a list of my friends who were already using subscribe. 

Fellow blogger and friend Angie Mizzell recently wrote about the subscribe button, and how she'd be using it in a way that made sense for her and her friendbase.

Will you be allowing subscribers to your Facebook updates? I can't help but notice that this feels similar to Google's "circles" in a way.  Not that that is a bad thing! On Google+, you get to decide who receives the updates you share.  You first must group your friends in circles.  A friend-in-real-life circle, an acquantance circle, an I'm-not-sure-who-you-are circle, etc.  Then, when you post something, you tell Google+ who gets to see the update. 

With Facebook's subscribe button and feature, you decide if your status update is public or for friends-only.  The public updates are shared with all of your subscribers, friends or not, IF you've opted-in to activate the subscribe button for your profile.

Will I be turning the subscribe button on? I'm not sure yet.  I pride myself on being an early adopter of all things social media, but I'm not sure how I feel about this just yet.  It seems to make a lot of sense if you're using your Facebook like Angie is. It also makes a lot of sense for folks who regularly share their blog posts on Facebook.  Like me. Hmmm...

Get the full explanation about the subscribe button on Facebook's official page about it here.

I'm curious to know if you've turned this feature on for your profile.Why or why not?

Laura Catherine Otero is a marketing professional and blogger in Charleston, SC
who has been active in social media since 2005.  If you enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing to this blog via Email or  RSS. Laura can also be found on Twitter (@LauraCatherineO), Facebook, and LinkedIn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

visit here to make your own shirts

Permanent eyeliner

create your own shirt visit here