What Twitter Has Meant to Me - 900 Tweets Later


I tweeted for the 900th time today and thought it was a good time to reflect on my twitter journey. Has my time been well spent on Twitter? Have I made any real connections or friendships? YES and YES!

I’ve written about how to get plugged into Twitter before…this post instead serves as a recap of what Twitter has meant for to over the past year, living in new place.

Let me set the stage to last summer…say July of 2009. I joined Twitter many months before (actually in 2007) but last summer stands out to me as a time when I really harnessed the power of Twitter to “work” for me. My reason? I was moving to a new place (Charleston, SC) and didn’t know *anyone* - very scary, indeed.


Not many people (at the time) would friend a complete stranger on Facebook, and I didn’t go that route anyway. Instead, I began looking for marketers in Charleston, SC who shared similar interests with me. There are plenty of tools that will help you target a particular geographic region, and from there, I looked for “marketing / marketer, public relations, media, advertising” and other terms that matched up with my job experience and interests.

One by one, I was able to “follow” new people. Many times, I would get a follow-back. This is when the potential to network and connect really begins. Having a one-way conversation without anyone listening is not the goal here. What happened next was exciting for me and a real confidence booster for a Charleston newbie. I began conversing (tweeting) with people I was following (that were following me back). The fast-pace of Twitter was exciting, and I was able to keep up with new folks by developing my own customized“lists” to scan. For example, I had/have a “social media” list, a “Charleston marketers” list, a “Charleston area business list”, etc.


It doesn’t happen overnight, but somehow, amidst the hundreds (or thousands) of connections, someone emerges as a person you’d like to meet for coffee or lunch. Then it happens again, and again. One by one, you are making real connections and meeting new people.

Most of my new
Charleston friendships started on Twitter of all places. Exciting! Yes, there were friendships made at work and church, but my Twitter friends have many of the great qualities that excite me as a person…I also connected with a huge group of talented artists thanks to an e-course I took from Kelly Rae Roberts.

Things I’ve noticed about My New Twitter Friends, and Twitter Users in General

~ My Twitter friends are upbeat, outgoing, and overall go-getters

~ I know this because they greet the world each day and engage in thoughtful, thought-provoking, witty, fun conversations. Who doesn’t love that?!

~ My twitter friends are more likely to live for today…more likely to meet up for dinner, an event, or just about anything else…spontaneous is the word I’m looking for here. J

~ My twitter friends are quick to offer help, whether it’s a tip, link, referral, or advice in general

~ My twitter friends are willing to take a risk and make a connection. Usually it starts with coffee or lunch, and then if there is a friendship connection, it goes from there.

I can’t even count the number of great people I’ve met through Twitter, and hope you have had a similar experience.

Shout outs to some of my all-time faves...
@AshleyTCaldwell
@kellyTpottery
@MacKenzieImage
@LizDeLoach
@Alesya
@Tiglu
@MandiEngram
@ConnectionMaven
@carnellm
@clipperclub
Too many great "Flying Lessons" Artists to mention all- but the list is here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

visit here to make your own shirts

Permanent eyeliner

create your own shirt visit here