Incentives for Facebook “Fans”

Have you noticed how many companies are offering incentives for Facebook "fans"? I've seen such a trend that it seems you could get a free coupon, discount, product, etc. just about every day on Facebook if you play your cards right.

I've heard arguments that some may feel this is bribery and portrays false loyalty that may quickly fade after the freebies stop coming. Others have felt it is worth the time and cost to gain a new "fan" base. At first, I leaned towards agreeing with these arguments. Over time, my thoughts on this have evolved.

I am guilty myself of becoming a "fan" of a product on Facebook to get a free discount/coupon or sample. Perhaps it is due, in part, to the economy. After all, I certainly wasn't using coupons or getting excited about free samples a year ago. I don't become a fan of just anything to get a freebie, but if it is a product I have used in the past or have an interest in trying, I will often become a fan.

At one social media panel, I heard people say the "fans" would disappear overnight, and that offering these kinds of incentives to gain a fan might be perceived negatively and have the opposite effect as desired. At first, I tended to agree with these arguments. However, after a few months of being a fan of various companies/products on Facebook, I can say that I am actually a fan that sticks around after the sample/coupon.

Understanding why I have remained a fan is something I'm exploring. I feel a little indebted (perhaps it's guilt) to remain a fan since I received something out of the relationship. Many of the companies I became a fan of have continued to keep the communication coming, whether on Facebook, via email or text, and I'm becoming less of a faux-fan and more of a real one. It certainly helps with the product/sample I received (such a Purex washer/dryer sheets) turns out to be quite good.

There are a few companies I have become a "fan" of that I've been a fan on long before Facebook. Coca-Cola is one such company.

As a marketer, I value a well executed campaign, and have been impressed with how the communication from many of these companies has been just right. Not too much, not too little. It's as though these companies may understand that they are actually winning over an existing Facebook "fan" to become a true brand loyalist.

What are your thoughts on this trend?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

visit here to make your own shirts

Permanent eyeliner

create your own shirt visit here